Apocalypse Blues

 


Written, performed and produced by John Haydock. This song was inspired by the movie 'Oppenheimer'. It's really reflecting on the apocalyptic power of the bomb and suitable imagery for the end of the world. The 'sunglasses in the morning' line is a reference to those who wore dark glasses and stared at the atom bomb during the nuclear tests. Certain leaders at the moment are throwing around the idea of using nuclear weapons. The stupidity is staggering.


It was a race to the bottom and you were gonna win Deep in the desert in an ill foreboding wind I saw the angel riding upon a horse of white Sowing fear on the water in a strange glowing light The secret deal was written in a hand not quite my own The passage was forbidden, there was no direction home I don't suppose your beauty will ever really fade With eyes of steel you made the deal and tied the hands of fate Seven ships a-sailing to a foreign distant shore I saw the angel walking out on the killing floor I'm wearing sunglasses in the morning I got those dream shadows at night You were faithless in the moment when the heart called out your name You knew all the rules but you didn't play the game And God I hope we don't give in to the little monkey brain That plays in the ashes of revenge and blame There's sleek machines that lie in wait And they sleep in the silence of waiting hate And there's itchy fingers that twist and burn And they wait for the day of Oppenheimer's return Yeah the seven seals are breaking Yeah the beast begins to rise And there's a fire that's burning right across the sky 'I got those sunglasses in the morning I got those dream shadows at night It haunts our dreams, the destroyer of worlds Unleashed like a demon from the gates of hell You can pledge allegiance to any side But when you do somebody has to die You can stand in the shadow of a flag unfurled But in the end only hate prevails I see the angel riding upon a pale horse Coming in from the East on a dead end course There's seven seas a-boiling There's fire in the sky I feel the beast is rising I've seen the seventh sign I'm wearing sunglasses in the morning I got those dream shadows at night





Comentários

Mensagens populares